BARIATRIC SURGERY - OBESITY TREATMENT
¿What is the gastric balloon?
Temporary restriction of the patient's stomach volume by the placement of a gastric balloon. This contributes to modifying eating habits and loosing weight. It produces a decrease in food intake and early satiety in the patient.
It is indicated for patients with BMI between 28 and 40.
It takes 30 minutes to place the gastric balloon and 30 minutes to remove it.
1 Hour. Both the ingestible and ingestible-digestible do not require endoscopy nor anesthesia, only x-ray monitoring.
Return to normal activity
Removal after 3,6 or 12 months or spontaneous disposal after 4 months depending on balloon type. Monitoring after 12-18 months conducted by Doctor, Psychologist, Nutritionist and Personal Trainer.
Simple and Secure
TEMPORARY technique for weight loss. High weight regain incidence, specially in patients with BMI > 33-35.
Low risk in the gastric balloon's placement.
Grade of recommendation with available scientific evidence
High recommendation. Highest in 6 months balloon (as approved by FDA)
60% Loss of excess weight in BMI 30-35. Weight regain after 2 years in 50% of patients.
- Balón ingerible-digerible Elipse
- Balón ingerible Oballon
- Balón intragastrico 6 meses
- Balón ajustable 1 año Spatz
IntraObes scientific publications and relevant facts about this technique
- Dumonceau JM. Evidence-based review of the Bioenterics intragastric balloon for weight loss. Obes Surg. 2008 Dec;18(12):1611-7. doi: 10.1007/s11695-008-9593-9. Epub 2008 Jun 21.
- Breton, E. Cancer, C. Mellado, V. Abilés, J. Avilés, M. A. Escarti, R. Ginés, V. Álvarez, N. Paez, C. Velasco, L. Pavón, M. Miras, M. Martínez Olmo, J. M. Culebras, R.-A. Mazure, I. Balón Intragástrico en el Tratamiento de la Obesidad. Grupo de trabajo OBESMINVA de la SENPE. Nutr. Hosp. 24 (2) 2009.
- Consentimiento informado en el balón intragástrico avalado por SENPE, SEEDO, SEN y SECO; aspectos médico-legales. V. Abilés, M. A. Martínez Olmos, M. A. Escartí, I. Bretón, E. Cáncer, N. Pelaez, V. Álvarez, J. M. Culebras, R. A. Mazure; Grupo de Trabajo OBESMINVA de la SENPE . Nutr. Hosp. 27 (2) 2012.
TYPES GASTRIC BALLON
Balón ingerible-digerible (Elipse)®
The capsule is filled with 500-600 cc of physiological solution. It is placed in the radiology department and removed spontaneously after 4 months.
It does not require endoscopy nor anaesthesia both in the placement and removal.
Short period (4 months) for modifying eating habits. A second balloon may be useful.
6 Months Balloon (serum)
Balloon filled with 500-700 cc of physiological serum and left for 6 months
Most used balloon
Approved my FDA
Looses efficiency with BMI > 35
Balón ajustable de 1 año Spatz®
Balloon which is filled with 500-700 cc of serum and placed during 1 year
Its volume may be modified afterwards through a connectar it has installed.
Higher ammount of time for modifying eating habits (one year). If it were to produce sickness, some volume may be reduced